CA Senate Bill 708 needs to be defeated

> I don't understand why they continue to pick on this
> small group of car
> owners. Probably because there aren't many of them,
> they don't have much
> political power and Senator Florez can make some
> easy points with the environmentalists.

Hitting the nail on the head, so they say.  A point I
sometimes mention that helps counter the
environmentalists is that it is often poor people, who
cannot afford a new car, who drive older cars on a
regular basis.  These people would take a hit in their
wallets if they were forced to scrap or spend
thousands on their old cars.  On the flip side, the
remainder of people who own old cars have them as
showpieces, and they generally aren't driven more than
500 to 1000 miles per year.

I was very surprised to hear abut CA testing cars on
the side of the road, esp out of state vehicles.  What
do they make you do if you fail, leave the state?  To
me, this is just as ludicrous as saying another
state's driver's licenses are not valid in CA.

On a final note, if these dunderheads in the state
legislature would put as much time and effort into
their mass-transit operations as they have into
picking on a tiny minority of car owners, maybe they
could make real progress towards cleaning the air and
unclogging the roadways in that state.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Otis Davidson