CA Senate Bill 708 needs to be defeated

FYI....This was forwarded to me from another list.  Just another ray of
sunshine (along with the proposed hike in DMV fees) beaming out of
Sacramento.  Info and links are provided below so those of you in CA can
contact your Senator and Assembly Rep. to voice your opinion.

John B.
-----------------------------------

Hi Guys
The California senate is at it again!!
California Senate Bill 708 will repeal the
1973-and-earlier smog exemption, require biennial smog
exemptions for all 1955-and-up cars and require EGR
equipment to be retrofitted to all 1972 and earlier
cars. For many 1972 and earlier cars, this means they
will not be eligible for registration at all, since
EGR systems will not function properly with their
original design. Clearly, this is another attempt by
the California legislature to take pre-smog-era cars
off the road.

The proof is right here, on their own website:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0701-0750/sb_708_bill_20030221_
introduced.html

Please call or Email your California state Senator and
Assemblyperson. This is a matter of urgency, since
they're trying to push through this legislation while
no one is paying attention.

Go to this link:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/memberinfo

to find your assembly members and email them.
Thank you.

The bill is currently waiting for assignment by the Rules committee. I
recommend contacting committee chairman John Burton and urging him to
leave
the bill unassigned. There's a feedback form on his website:

http://democrats.sen.ca.gov/senator/burton/

I just downloaded a copy of the bill. The bill removes the exemption for
any car built before 1974. It also changes the exemption from 30 years to
45 years beginning in 2005. So starting in 2005 your car would have to be
built in 1960 or before to be exempt. It just pushes the clock back
again.
This is the third or fourth time they have done this.

I don't understand why they continue to pick on this small group of car
owners. Probably because there aren't many of them, they don't have much
political power and Senator Florez can make some easy points with the
environmentalists.

Please contact all your friends and family and write to your Senator and
Representative to kill this bill.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com