Deciphering Engine Tranny Casting Numbers

Deciphering Engine Tranny Casting Numbers

Another place to find the engine number would be on the driver's side of the
engine, around the starter.  This number is stamped, not cast, into the
block.    As this car is a 1969 model, the number should have E 440 in it,
same as the number on the pad as described below.  But this number will be
longer, giving engine plant, date and sequential production detail, plus any
variations from the norm.

As for the transmission, check for a number stamped into the transmission
case, on the driver's side, toward the rear of the case, just above the pan.
This number will identifiy the exact model of the transmission.

Bill
Vancouver, BC