Rim Blow horn; was Re: IML: Electric locks, speed control.

--- Kevin Pacheco <kevin50187@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> also, any other people on this list that are having
> problems with their
> horn?  the horn does work, but the "ring" around the
> steering wheel is all
> hard, and i think that might be the problem, how
> would i fix that?\

Your '71 Imperial has the "Rim Blow" horn, which means
there's a soft (hopefully!) strip of rubber around the
inside of the steering wheel which the driver squeezes
to blow the horn.  It's a pretty neat feature, and I
have vivid memories of my Grandmother's white knuckles
clutching the steering wheel while the horn blared on
her '71 Imperial.  But I digress . . .

Unfortunately, heat and sunshine cause this rubber
strip to harden over the years.  When the strip
becomes hard and brittle, you can no longer squeeze it
to make contact for the horn switch.

You basically have three options: 1. Replace the
steering wheel with a new or good used steering wheel.
 These are hard to find.  2. Chrysler did make a
replacement "strip" for the Rim Blow wheel, but these
are hard to find, and even harder to install.  3. Find
a creative way to mount a horn button.

On one of my '71s, I placed a generic horn button on
the back of the steering wheel.  I used one of the
screws that holds the center pad in place to also hold
the button in place, so no holes were drilled and the
button can be removed without damage to the car.  It
was VERY easy to splice the wires in -- just remove
the two screws for the center pad, and the wiring is
right there.  Again, this can also be done so that no
damage is done to the steering wheel.

Another good Imperial challenge!

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron