From: "Bill Watson" <wwatson@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: IML: hardtops -- again

| General Motors "A" body cars in those days was used on the
Chevrolet and
| Pontiac, while the Oldsmobile and Buick Special/Century
used the "B"body.
| The Buick Super/Roadmaster and all Cadillacs except the 75
used the "C"
| body.   Both the "A" and the "C" got the 4-door hardtop in
1956, and only
| the "B" body got the 4-door hardtop in mid-year 1955.
Thus the only 4-door
| hardtops built in 1955 were the Oldsmobile (88, Super 88
and 98) and Buick
| (Special and Century).
|
| The GM "A", "B", and "C" body labelling dates back to 1940
and it was not
| until 1959 that the Chevrolet and Pontiac would share the
"B" body with the
| Oldsmobile and Buick (LeSabre, Invicta and Electra).
The 1959 "C" body
| was used by Buick (Electra 225) and all Cadillacs except
the Brougham and
| 75.    The "A" body would not reappear until 1964 when it
was used on the
| new intermediate-size Chevelle/ Beaumont/ Tempest/ F-85 /
Special car lines.

| The first post-war 4-door "hardtop convertible" was built
by Kaiser in 1949.
| They took the 4-door sedan, removed the roof and made a
4-door convertible.
| The doors had stationary chrome upper door fames and there
was a stationary
| metal-framed glass pillar between the door glass.
|
| To that body, Kaiser put a roof back on and called it the
"Virginian".  The
| Virginian used a three-piece wrap-around rear window and
had the
| convertble's side window configuration.  The Kaiser DeLuxe
Virginian was
| sold in 1949 and 1950, and for 1951 the body style
appeared in the Frazer
| Manhatten series.
|
| Chrysler's first 2-door hardtop, by the way, was built in
1946 on the
| 1946-first series 1949 body.   Seven of them were built,
and some do still
| exist.   The first brochure and folder announcing the
second-series 1949
| line was printed in March, 1949, and it illustrated a
2-door Newport hardtop
| convertible.   It was supposed to be available in the
Windsor, New Yorker
| and Town & Country series.  Only one 1949 Chrysler Town &
Country 2-door
| hardtop was built.  It was built off a production
convertible and is
| included in the 1949 lists of body style production.
|
| Although General Motors gets the credit for the 2-door
hardtop, I believe
| Chrysler should get the nod for the idea.  After all, they
did announce the
| body style in March, 1949, months before General Motors
introduced their