hardtops -- again

General Motors "A" body cars in those days was used on the Chevrolet and
Pontiac, while the Oldsmobile and Buick Special/Century used the "B"body.
The Buick Super/Roadmaster and all Cadillacs except the 75 used the "C"
body.   Both the "A" and the "C" got the 4-door hardtop in 1956, and only
the "B" body got the 4-door hardtop in mid-year 1955.   Thus the only 4-door
hardtops built in 1955 were the Oldsmobile (88, Super 88 and 98) and Buick
(Special and Century).

The GM "A", "B", and "C" body labelling dates back to 1940 and it was not
until 1959 that the Chevrolet and Pontiac would share the "B" body with the
Oldsmobile and Buick (LeSabre, Invicta and Electra).    The 1959 "C" body
was used by Buick (Electra 225) and all Cadillacs except the Brougham and
75.    The "A" body would not reappear until 1964 when it was used on the
new intermediate-size Chevelle/ Beaumont/ Tempest/ F-85 / Special car lines.

The first post-war 4-door "hardtop convertible" was built by Kaiser in 1949.
They took the 4-door sedan, removed the roof and made a 4-door convertible.
The doors had stationary chrome upper door fames and there was a stationary
metal-framed glass pillar between the door glass.

To that body, Kaiser put a roof back on and called it the "Virginian".  The
Virginian used a three-piece wrap-around rear window and had the
convertble's side window configuration.  The Kaiser DeLuxe Virginian was
sold in 1949 and 1950, and for 1951 the body style appeared in the Frazer
Manhatten series.

Chrysler's first 2-door hardtop, by the way, was built in 1946 on the
1946-first series 1949 body.   Seven of them were built, and some do still
exist.   The first brochure and folder announcing the second-series 1949
line was printed in March, 1949, and it illustrated a 2-door Newport hardtop
convertible.   It was supposed to be available in the  Windsor, New Yorker
and Town & Country series.  Only one 1949 Chrysler Town & Country 2-door
hardtop was built.  It was built off a production convertible and is
included in the 1949 lists of body style production.

Although General Motors gets the credit for the 2-door hardtop, I believe
Chrysler should get the nod for the idea.  After all, they did announce the
body style in March, 1949, months before General Motors introduced their
Holiday, Riviera and Coupe de Ville models.

Bill
Vancouver, BC