cam bearing replacement in car

Can I really replace my cam bearings in my car?  Yes it CAN be done!  There
is actually a use for those ( IMHO ) worthless rubber core plugs that you
buy to get you home if you lose a core plug and youre desperate.   These
plugs are generally in nominal sizes and have a fair amount of expansion
range when you tighten the little nut in the center of them.

Several times,  we have used these plugs to remove and replace cam bearings
when there was no option of removing the entire engine...you need a suitable
size plug which is the easy part, and a driver to mate with the plug so you
have a suitable surface to pound against.   We have found that a piece of
steel rod , preferably hollow so that it will fit over the plug expansion
nut , will make a very suitable tool .   The installation is just as easy,
the trick here is to use an indelible marker and make matching marks on the
block before you start to ensure the oil holes - if applicable - are indexed
with the holes in the block.

Why you may be asking, did we go to all this trouble.....ever see the inside
of a detroit diesel or a cummins inline?  It is sometimes easier to remove a
radiator and stack up a few lengths of steel rod than remove a 2 ton engine
block !  This same trick works well on passenger cars too....the radiator is
usually in the way, and sometimes you have to tilt the block a bit to get a
straight shot at everything.  Thankfully a big block mopar has a very open
valley and room to get fingers and such in there to work after the intake is
removed.    The caveat here is, the pan is removed and youre doing some kind
of repair or overhaul.  Im sure you could do this with the pan on.....better
hope you dont drop one!

Of course, since most engines have cam bearings diameters that change from
bearing to bearing, you have to do the installation with the smallest one
first and so on and so on....and obviously, you do this AFTER you hone
anything unless you have a grit fetish and want to watch your efforts go to
waste in a hurry.  Remember...it can never be too clean.

Just one mechanics experience with these things..

Take care all

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe