1967 electrical problem

Sorry to hear that Marc, but unfortunately not unusual.  When I bought by
68 sedan, the dash lights were not working, which I suspect the switch was
responsible (never got the patience to fix them!) .  Not long down the
road, the head lights gave up.  At the time, it was my only car, so I could
not wait for a switch replacement (which as you may or may not know, are
unavailable), so I wired in a new cheapy looking switch, along with a
headlight relay to reduce the current through the switch.  Along with that,
I also installed an also cheapy looking external light bulb to "illuminate"
the dash at night.  It works well, but its ugly.  Later, I found a switch
from a junkyard in Austin, but I always procrastinate to install it...

You should install a headlight relay ASAP to prevent/postpone the headlight
failure.  As for long term suggestion, lets wait for Dick B. to
respond.  Being a mechanical engineer, switches and such are outside of my
expertise! ;)
D^2