7 Imperials, 3 Unforced errors

Just got back from my sojourn to Dallas.  I speculate around 800 miles, over
three days.  The '58 was not in as good a shape as I would have like.  Fuel
economy was way down, and the blow by "valve" was pretty smoky.  I guess it
was way out of time and running too hot.  Also, the time has come to remove
the starter and get it rebuilt.

The trip to Fort Worth by the country route was splendid.  Met with list
member Chuck Ariens in Marble Falls.  He brought a 92 Chrysler LeBaron
convertible he has owned since new.  Despite its 160,000 miles it actually
looks as if he got it yesterday.  Man, the car is magnificent.  I'm glad my
old girl was not parked anywhere nearby.  I met with Haden, who is no longer
on this list, who has a 64 convertible and a '66 coupe, but a couple of 39
cars, a Packard and a rather splendid looking Cadillac.

On the Saturday, there were only four Imperials, but six Imperialists at the
meeting point.  For a variety of reasons, there was no one there who
actually came from Dallas itself.  Asa, despite a ragingly inflamed tooth,
set off from Oklahoma City and was the first one there.  Marc, from Houston
brought some friends from there with him, and an awesome '67 coupe.
Dimitrios from Austin brought up his black '68 LeBaron hardtop.  With
Haden's 66, and my '58 that was four.  Not too shabby.  Unlike last year,
the weather was fine.  A little on the chilly side to start with, but nice
clear blue skies.

We had an interesting day getting to know one another and swapping Imperial
war stories.  Once I get my pictures developed I'll post them on my we site.
We went up to Brooks big old work building and scoped out his cars,
including a '61 hardtop and a '63 convertible.

The first two of my three unforced errors happened at Brooks place.  The
ground was saturated following heavy rains in the area.  Despite having been
warned about this I drove onto the grass anyway and the old '58 got bogged
down.  Having been rescued with a tractor, I promptly did the same thing on
the other side of the path.  Dimitrios had not had the same problems on that
side.  Oh well.  That would be the difference between a 58 and a 68.

On our way back to the freeway from a lovely whistle stop town restaurant,
Marc lost his rear lights.  From what I gather from a post of his he then
lost even more.  Not good.  I myself ended up on the wrong road.  I should
have been on 35E heading to Dallas.  Instead I was on 35W heading to Fort
Worth.  By the time I realized I had started out south of the interstate's
split point, it was too late.  My lack of knowledge of the area's warren of
freeways prompted me to stay on the roads I knew even though the route would
prove to be about an hour longer than the direct route.  I was becoming
concerned about the amount of gas left in the tank.  The day before I had
been unable to start the car when I tried to leave Haden's place due to lack
of gas, but there is a gas station two houses down and I had stopped with
engine running.  This time I was not so lucky.  My gauge has obviously
become deceptive.  It was reading just under a quarter of a tank full.   It
had the day before, too.  Oh well.  The friend I was staying with was not
too far away and he showed up after about thirty minutes after I called him.
The moment I hung up the cell phone, I immediately became desperate to go to
the bathroom.  A very long 30 minutes indeed!  I happened to be stuck in
front of a sign saying, "DESOTO.  Next 4 exits."

Rescued and at the nearest gas station, suitably relieved in more ways than
one, I exited the gas station building only to see a gleaming white 92
Imperial.  A smartly dressed black woman was inside, so I was asked the
middle aged black guy at the counter, who looked like he had been golfing,
if the car was his, which it was.  He loves his car and keeps it impeccably
detailed.  I pointed out my rather sorry looking 58 example, fortunately at
the other side of the row of gas pumps.  Its good to see anyone with
Imperial pride of ownership.  The guy said his wife has a Lexus but that he
loves his Imperial too much to part with it.

The return home today was as unpleasant as I expected it to be.  Just mile
after mile of road works, with inexperienced drivers either weaving in and
out of the constricted lanes or too afraid to pass an eighteen wheeler and
slowing everyone down.  I did not get start in an Austin traffic jam, the
first time I recall being so blessed.  There was a five or six mile jam on
the other side of the freeway as I left the city, so 2:30 PM on a Sunday
afternoon may be a good time to try to get through the ghastly place, at
least heading south.

I stopped in to Dr. Mopar's place on the way back, but that will be the
subject of another post.

Well, I have some work to do on my car it seems.  But I had a great time.  I
thoroughly enjoyed meeting the other Imperialists and scoping their cars.
Haden and I made some sketch plans for next year, which is always a good
sign.  Plus Marc and I are talking about another Imperial get together in
Houston in the fall.  Onwards and upwards, y'all.

HUGH
"Until further notice, celebrate everything."