'57; how scarce?

Ooh, Bruce, this really is the $64,000 question.  A key element might me is
how much have you already put into it and how much could you expect to get
out of it if you decide to sell.

1957 was THE peak year for Imperial.  37,593 were sold.  No other year comes
closer than 12,000 less in terms of sales.  1958 are all but identical, and
only sold 16,133.  As was mentioned in a previous post, quality control was
a huge issue in 1957, which was a bonanza year for most manufacturers,
except, ironically, Chevrolet.  The huge demand for its all new range of
models came as an unplanned for bonus for Chrysler Corporation and their
response was, in retrospect, inadequate.

Of the four style model range, the sedan is the least "glamourous."  With
the third window and a different roof line compared to the hardtops, it is,
however, a remarkably handsome vehicle.  It is my speculation that if you
add in a cost projection for the work required to make it to be the way you
want it, to the amount you have already spent, you will probably save over
the cost of acquiring one already in "show" condition.   You will get the
'pleasure' of doing the work yourself or orchestrating (and paying for) it.

At the end you will have a delightful vehicle which otherwise will probably
continue to deteriorate or become a parts car.  You will have the
satisfaction of having "saved" it plus you will find that it is a much more
attractive selling proposition.  Perhaps the bulk of people involved in this
hobby simply buy a show car, campaign it for a year or so then sell it and
replace it with something else.  To them, classic cars are as
interchangeable as new cars on a showroom floor.  Once the newness wears
off, its time to move on.

I am not trying to be a snob in reverse.  More than having a thing for all
Imperials, I really just have a thing for MY Imperial.  Cosmetically, mine
is pretty far gone, although it is not rusty at all and the chrome is really
good.  All it needs is for me to either get a better job or to re-arrange my
priorities away from things like my family and my mortgage and makethe car
the first and foremost claimant on my pay check.  Of course, the third way
is simply to do the best I can with what I have and enjoy the heck out of it
as often as possible.

Hugh
1958 4 Dr Southampton.