'57; how scarce?

Yes, 57 was the highest production but the production quality was very poor
so very prone to rust so not as many left as one might think given the
17,000 plus production total.  Just don't see them around even here in
California.  I'd say if you love 57's, maybe go with what you have as you
may not find a better one.  Most cars  44 years old need just about
everything unless you find the extremely rare, low, low mileage, etc. car.
And, if you do, you'll have to pay a lot though maybe not as much as what
you put in bit by bit on the restoration "project" car.

Also, what are your goals for the car, #1(which means you can't really drive
it) or a pretty good looking local show type fun driver??.  Maybe get it
running and driving well and then get into the cosmetics gradually???

I really love'em too, and each one I see screams out to me for rescuing but
I can't do them all, sigh!

Henry Hopkins,  61, 60, 57(convert bought on ebay--project car half
done--but I did go see it before I gave up the check, nobody wanted to go
higher than $8600, got lucky as the engine and trans really were rebuilt as
stated, the paint was new but needs to be redone, body excellent, some
rechromed parts already done, and a new windshield included) I kept hoping
someone would outbid.  Was my first time using ebay and I was proud of
myself for finally coming up as high bidder after going up by hundreds for 6
or so times.  There I was and for the 3 remaining days, no one else bid.
Drove 600  miles to Portland with check and trailer and the whole thing was
fishy--someone representing the owner who never did show up to meet us and
about half the parts missing.  Looking for an out, we left and came home.
The agent got with the owner, found all the parts(locked away in a nearby
trailer), laid 'em all out, took LOTS of pix, scanned and sent them.  We
figured it really was a good buy, so back up the next week-end and brought
her home.  ----- Original Message -----