Re: [Chrysler300] Taking the G apart, (or any other car)

Re: [Chrysler300] Taking the G apart, (or any other car)

First let me say that the hardest lesson for a Mechanic to learn is
that you can't fix it if you don't know what's wrong. I've watched too
many "newbies" make a WAG and tear the engine 1/2 apart to fix
something and don't have a clue of what to look for or what to do. So
if there are problems before you start try to track them down, before
assuming that the rebuild will fix it. It's way easy to reinstall the
problem part since it "Looked fine".
The second lesson thats hardest to learn is that the most important
tool you can own is the Service Manual and any assorted tech info you
can accumulate before starting on any project. Refer to it often, and
remember there's many web sites with mind numbing details available to
you. Use them before starting and get familiar with them so it's an
easy lookup when you need it.

As to the small parts storage, I retired from being a Dealership tech
and one joy was installing A/C units in new cars.  (flat rate was
great!) The small parts such as bolts and nuts came in molded
paperboard trays with cellophane over them and a printed map of the
contents. I saved these for years in anticipation of just this kind of
use.  All the Jap cars used this system, so if you know anyone at a
Honda, Acura, or Toyota dealership, ask them so save you these trays.

You can use egg cartons, dozen OK but 18-24 count trays are better. You
can use your fist to mash down some webbing between dimples to make a
bigger area, and use these to separate the bolts and suchlike. I marked
with a magic marker in the bottom of an area what the bolts were for or
you can draw a map of the contents. Styrofoam meat trays from the
Supermarket are useful also.
After removing a part or parts in a given area seal the tray with Saran
wrap, and put on the shelf with the parts. When you get to that area of
reassembly you can clean/repaint the parts and hardware together, and
(If you were careful in disassembly) know that this bolt that is 1 1/2"
long goes in this hole and the 1 5/8" bolt goes in that hole. If you
get that wrong, the too long bolt which looks just like the right bolt
will bottom out or interfere with something.

Have fun with your project, Ray

Ray Jones, Mena, AR in the Ouachita Mountains in western Arkansas
Y'all com'on down and we'll sit ona porch and sip a few.

Yahoo! Groups Links