[FWDLK] Transmission swap

John,

Here is a copy of the e-mail thread of  replies that I got when I asked the
same question a while back with regard to my 56. (Thanks again to all those
that helped me work it out). The discussion on the pushbuttone is probably
not helpful for your year but the rest of it should apply.
I have basically decided to try to adapt the existing cables from a 5
button >pushbutton unit to work with  the newer style lever operated trans.
 I will very likely not have aworking Park feature but  Ican live without
it and the original trans did not have it anyway. It is still a work in
progress but I am confident I will get it to work.
Scott
1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer

Prior Threads:

>Hi all, > I am in need of a pushbutton setup that will fit > into the
>existing space on a 56 Dodge. I will > be using a newer style 727
>torqueflite and want > to retain the original pushbutton look if at all
possible. Prior posts to the list advised that the > pushbuttons from a 56
Imperial and the pushbuttons > from a 57 - 59 Dodge truck will fit in the
original > location. (snip) > Also, are there any other year/models that
will fit > I was told that 63 -64 pickups will also fit can > anyone
confirm this? Any 5-button truck pushbuttons will fit ('57-'64). In
>addition to Imperials, late '56 NYs and 300s had TFs. > Finally, i have
not seen these pushbottons myself, > will this allow full function Park, R,
N, D, 2, 1, > or is park and/or the lower gear selection > eliminated? "2"
and "1" will fully function as long as you have the buttons for them and
the cable adjusted correctly. I'm told the park switch works off a separate
cable and can be located away from the button box. I seem to recall a Dodge
 exclusive for '56 that nobody talks about but that might work perfectly
into your plans; over to the right of the steering column, where the
shifter was in '55, seems to me there's a park switch of some sort. I'd be
thinking of that as the place to hook up the park switch cable for the 727.
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA '57 Plymouth Sport Suburban

Well - if your crazy enough [ like me ] here goes  I did just what you
want to do, but it's triky. > >On the big block or newer trans you have to
open it up andremove the ball and spring that makes the click-stops in the
shift lever. Then drill a hole about 1.5 inches out on the lever to mount
the >new cable clamp. Use boat control cable [stronger] along with home
made brackets to > >connect it all and WHALLAH.
RJZ123@xxxxxxxxx (Richard Zapa )

About modifying new trans to use cables instead of linkage
Scott - let me try to simplify this for you. You cannot put a later than 65
tailhousing on a 66 & up case. There is a rear pump in there for one thing,
besides, the bolt pattern is different. The factory cable setup uses two
cables (except 62 I think - they have the parking brake drum on the rear -
like the 61 & earlier) You can't "convert" the cable operation of the
pushbuttons to work with the "lever" on 66 & up. The travel is wrong, and
the detent tension on the cable setup is very "light" - maybe I should say
the spring for the detents is very weak - unlike the lever type, which has
a rather strong spring - you wouldn't be able to "push" the buttons even if
you *could* somehow make the travel "right". The "guts" of the 66 & up 727s
will work in the 62-65 case - back as far as the reverse drum/band. From
there on back, you need the early stuff. Since you already have a 63 case,
try and find a 65 tail setup. They are rather scarce, since it's a
one-year-only thing. From there you can use your 74 (or whatever it was)
drums, planets etc. You must have the 65 output shaft though.(if you use
the 65 tail) - and beware! - SOME of the front planets from later model
727s will NOT fit the spline correctly on the early transmissions - ALSO -
the early (62-64 I think) planets/shells have a different "pitch" to the
gears - this means that if you use a 64 (for instance) front planet assy -
you must have the 64 shell, sun gear, rear planet & rear shell (annulus
gear). (just something else to mess with your plans). There are also some
differences in
the spline (front of output shaft) between the 3 and 4 pinion front planets
and if I remember correctly (it's been a while), most of the time if you
have a 4-gear front planet, it will fit the early input shaft. You will
have to find out for yourself - if there is a mis-match, the planet will be
quite "loose" on the input splines - this, of course, will result in a "no
drive" condition the first time you hammer it. (more food for thought) Hope
this has been helpful. If you can't find any parts, let me know and I'll
see what I can do. Where are you located? Regards, DaveG. -----
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Follow up re: pushbuttons > Thanks, > > I have a line
on a 63 727 TF front housing. I am going to rebuild the > trans anyway, does
anyone know if this housing will work with the '74 727 TF > internals? and
rear housing? > > My experience with these pushbutton/cable setups is
limited (ok I have none) > but I was hoping (outside of changing the
housing) to be able to figure out > the cable operation then somehow
improvise a connection to the existing > shift lever on the transmission. >
What is different about the pre-65 housings? Do seperate cables operate >
seperate levers on/in the Transmission? I could see how this would preclude
what I am trying to accomplish. > Please help me to understand what I am up
against. > I really dont want to loose the pushbuttons if I do not have
to. > > Thanks again, > Scott

ust to clarify my > >question: > > > I already have a motor, trans and
>rear end from an early 70's MOPAR. The > > > transmission has park and
the rear end has parking brakes. I will use > >the > > > existing parking
brake >handle and attach it to the parking brake cables > >on > > > the new
rear. I need the pushbuttons (if any) that will fit into the 56 > > > Dodge
dash >and allow me to connect to the newer transmission that I > >alredy
have. > > > Thanks again, > > > Scott > > > > > > > > > > > >
<kneedrager@xxxxxxxxxxx> > > > >To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > > >
 >Subject: [FWDLK] Pushbuttons needed / 3 speed torqueflite > > > >Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:32:30 GMT  >Hi all, I am in need of
a pushbutton setup that will fit into the existing > >space > >on > > > >a
56 Dodge. I will be using a newer style 727 torqueflite and want to retain
the original pushbutton look if at all possible. Prior posts to the list
advised that the pushbuttons from a 56 Imperial and the
pushbuttons from a 57 - 59 Dodge truck will fit in the original
location. Does > >anyone > > > >have a set for sale? Also,
are there any other year/models that will fit I was told that > >63 -64
pickups will also fit can anyone confirm this? > > > > > > > >Finally, i
have not seen these pushbottons myself, will this allow > >full function
Park, R, N, D, 2, 1, or is park and/or the lower gear >
selection eliminated? I will also be changing the rear so parking
brakes will not > >be a problem Thanks, > > >