Re: [FWDLK] Purist Question to ponder!!

Hello all.  I don't post very often but I do read all messages with great interest.  The whole originality/matching-numbers thing is something we can go around and around about forever, and I sure don't have any final answers.   However, it does seem to me that in discussing "originality" we have to take into consideration the difference between old cars and other kinds of collectibles.  Unlike, say, a valuable chest of drawers, whose value might be greatly diminished if the owner so much as refinished the varnish, let alone replaced knobs or drawers or feet etc, etc., there are a lot of things in even the most original car that will have been replaced with any kind of use - if nothing else, things like tires, fluids, hoses and belts.  And unless the car is an incredibly low mileage original that has always stayed inside, any restoration to "original" is going to involve replacement of paint, chrome and unpholstery at the very least, and usually mechanical and/or sheetmetal repair/replacement.  How much depends on how much the car deteriorated before being restored.

I just bought a 56 Belvedere 2 door post with only 50,000 miles on the clock.  Original power pack 277, Powerflite drivetrain and no rust at all.  But, even this low mileage solid "original" has been repainted, the bumpers and grille have been rechromed, the seats and headliner have been redone, and the original tires, hoses, belts, spark plug wires, brake linings, exhaust system, battery and probably a few other things that were on the car when it came off the assembly line are long gone.

So when we are talking about cars that are 40 plus years old, none are truly assembly line "original," regardless of whether any "numbers" match.  I'm not so sure that laws meant to prevent chop shops from making one good late model car out of two or three wrecked ones have much relevance to any question of "authenticity" of a 45 year old "restored" car.  Personally, I'd rather have a rust free "clone" of a Fury, D500 etc, with all factory sheetmetal, than one whose original body was ravaged by rust and has had patch panels welded in everywhere.  Of course, a rust-free numbers matching example would be even better, but I just don't think numbers alone are the be all and end all.

Curtis French

59 Coronet 2 door hardtop
56 Belvedere 2 club sedan