Re: [FWDLK] Parking brake light, 59 Sprt. Fury steering wheel,

Re: [FWDLK] Parking brake light, 59 Sprt. Fury steering wheel, etc.

Dave Stragand wrote:

> 1)  The parking brake indicator for 57-8 Plymouths is the same model number. I
 understand that it isn't exactly as pictured in the
accessories catalog, as there is no mounting bracket to hold the light
in place. Instead, it seems, the light actually fits in the hole behind
the stainless trim to the left of the headlight switch, where the
overdrive switch would be (if so equipped).  The bezel on the light does
NOT match the Plymouth dash -- it matches the Dodge.  I guess they just
figured it would be good enough for our lowly Plymouths...  I may be
wrong, but that's what I've been able to gather.

Another writer, Ron Waters, has also sent me information semi-confirming
this in that the instructions for fitting of the light recommend
drilling out(enlarging) the existing hole in the dashboard.

The mounting instruction that came with the package shows a detailed
scale drawing of the light and specifically mentions Plymouth P-31,
although it is a Chryco part (Canadian), and as I said before, Canadian
57 Plymouths did have the Dodge dash. The part number 1714-208 is
clearly written above the "On Plymouth P-30,P31 and Dodge
D64,D65,D66,D67,D71,D72" line on the instruction sheet. Incidentally, as
seems common with Mopar parts, this number is not mentioned at all in
the parts book.

Could Ron Waters maybe shed a little more light on this riddle by
ellaborating on his instruction sheet, maybe copy it for me.

You can understand my hesitation in drilling if the advise happens to be
incorrect. The dashboard that this light is destined for is an acid
dipped, repainted left hand drive dashboard that will be going
eventually into my right hand drive Fury. Unlike many dashboards I have
seen, this one is in mint condition with no little "extra holes" care of
past vandals. I do not want to be responsible for vandalising it if the
handbrake warning light is incorrect.

How can I be sure? From what source does your information regarding the
Plymouth bezel matching the Dodge dash come from-this is the vital clue.

I would love to be able to use the part that I have, as it is absolutely
museum quality! And nobody that I have spoken to here or in USA actually
has one in their car.