Re: IML: 1974 new yorker to 1968 imperial parts

The '78 transmission should hold up fine. The only potential drawback, if you consider it one, is that the '78 may have a lock-up converter. If you're going to rebuild it take that into consideration.

There was a fairly big drop in power in the big block Mopar through the 70s. Compression dropped dramatically and the cars were choked with primitive emission controls. I believe the net for '71 was 295 hp or so. By the end I think they were lucky to be in the 220 range. Putting the tranny in front of a stiffer geared early car would be more likely to cause a problem because of driveline shock, but the 727 was always so stout that I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Especially for an Imperial which very few of us drag race.

From: Brad Hogg <roadhogg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML:  1974 new yorker to 1968 imperial parts
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:15:30 -0500

Ummm, does anyone seriously think they would have re-engineered the 727
transmission due to lower HP in the 440. The HP reduction was not all that
substantial either. The system used to rate HP changed dramatically and
that accounted for the greatest differences. Many 60s cars I've had
experience with also had different rear end ratios that would make them
"appear" to have more power to the driver. Heck, my 70s big block cars have
2.73 gears! It is no wonder they are doggish off the line but they highway
cruise at 2000 rpm and get nearly 20 mpg!

Sorry, I say nae nae!

Please quote this message in your reply. Otherwise I will be unable to reply to your message. Thanks.