Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 8:20 AM
Subject: IML: I need opinions

Afternoon all:

I recently bought a 1961 4D Crown Southampton.  (you know, there are times when I think this is like group therapy:  "hi, my name is Joe.  I own an Imperial."  group response:  "Hi Joe!" heheheh).  Nuthin' like a 12-step program to get one through the day....

I have a bunch of work to do to make The Big Red Sled drivable.  This work includes fuel system repair(rebuild the carburetor, replace the fuel pump, boil & reseal the gas tank), repair the braking system, repair the power steering (the aftermarket A/C compressor was mounted over the P/S pump in such close proximity that the pump reservoir cap cannot be removed so it is likely dry), and figure out why "R"everse doesn't work.

Not to mention repairing the seat upholstery and a paint job (solid body, very small bubble-type rust at the rear quarter panels).

My brother-in-law is a former body shop guy and he is suggesting that I just off-frame restore it right now (sort of hard to do with the front end of a '61 but you get the idea).  Get it started and get it over with (about 2 years).  My goal initially was to get it drivable (SAFELY) and then work on the pieces of the puzzle that require attention (paint & body, interior upholstery, etc.).  I sure would love to drive the car sooner rather than later even if she is rough around the edges (safe to drive however) but I can also see the value in doing it all at once.

Let me know your thoughts or opinions on the topic.  I would especially like to hear from those of you who have gone the off-frame restoration route.

I look forward to hearing from y'all.

Joe