64 Crown Coupe wiring repair advice needed...

64 Crown Coupe wiring repair advice needed...

In my 64 Crown Coupe a couple years back I had a couple of wires burn. One of the wires ran from the starter solenoid through the bulkhead connector then to the amp gauge (red wire) the other wire (black wire) ran from the amp gauge which connected to 4 other wires:
Battery feed, ignition switch (Batt), headlamp switch, bulkhead connector. The scorching continued through the bulkhead connector again (black wire) which leads to the alternator.
The bulkhead connector incidentally as one could imagine went through a meltdown where these wires were located.
Needless to say any short term repairs wont suffice. I have recently purchased on Ebay another wiring harness from a 64 although w/o A/C and auto pilot. My car has A/C but no auto pilot.
Im wondering what the best suited option I should take to fix this problem.
My options as I see it:
1. Completely replace the harness and add the A/C wire(s).
2. Take the bulkhead connector and needed replacement wires from the new harness and use them for the repair as needed.

Before I undergo this endeavor, I will want to ensure I don't do anything "Stupid" as it were.
My goal is to resolve the problem without the risk of an electrical fire on the road in the future.
I understand taking a 64 dash apart to access the areas for the complete replacement job isn't the easiest. Plus Im not even sure the dash has to be taken apart. So if anyone else has some experience and give me come advice on doing this project, please feel free to let me know what to do.

Regards,
Patrick Williams
High Desert, Southern California
57 Studebaker Golden Hawk