Destruction of Old Cars

In the United States there is a large group of people who don't think of old
cars as art objects. To them an old car is just another worn out consumer
product that needs to be disposed of. Some states have even tried to make laws
that would force cars of a certain age to automatically be recycled. These laws
have not been successful, but the reasons for them appearing are scary for us
hobbyists. They usually site things like air pollution, lack of safety devices,
fuel consumption, and obsolete technology as reasons for forcing them off of
the road. I once saw an article that said that if no body drove old cars, there
would be no need for junk yards. It went on to say that in addition to being an
eye sore, junk yards pollute the ground, and should be eliminated.

Again, most of these sorts of things have failed and happily so for us, but I
don't think that we have seen the end of this sort of thing.

Paul