vapor lock suggestions?

Chris wrote:
>Did it seem to crank a little bit slowly, or at least
seem
>to run the battery down more rapidly than usual?
>
>I say this because your starter might be on its way
out. I
>do not know how many miles you have on yours, but
when the
>starter begins to wear, it becomes increasingly
>susceptible to hot-start problems, mostly because the
>whole thing expands, making cranking harder on the
starter
>itself.

i hadn't thought to check the starter, actually. it
seemed like it was turning the motor just fine, but
after maybe four or five shots at it, it cashed out
the battery.  i figured it was probably a fault of the
battery which looks like it's older than dirt [the car
hasn't been driven all that much in the last ten
years].  the starter looks like original equipment, so
even though it's only got 52k on the clock, it's still
35 years old.

RC wrote:
>Put an amp meter on the stater line and see if it
>draws more when engine is hot then cold.

does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much a stock
mopar starter should pull when cranking (10:1 comp,
hot)?

Ted wrote:
>I have thought of a six volt electric pump, but feel
since
>the car started fine when new, I shouldn't need it if
>everything is right.

could it be that maybe the car's fine, but it's the
fault of the rotten low-octane unleaded mtbe-tainted
swill they call gas these days?  once upon a time,
someone on the fullsize jeep list i'm on had mentioned
that modern gasoline was more susceptible to
vaporization than the stuff they were making back in
the fifties and sixties.  i think the rationale was
something like lower boiling points did something to
help lower sulfur emissions, and because cars made
today have sealed high pressure fuel systems for
injection (40-50 psi) it's not as much of an issue on
hot days like it is for those of us still running
carbs and mechanical pumps (5-7 psi).

regards,
--jason

jason reizner