'73 dash gauges, turn signals, radio, & clock

'73 dash gauges, turn signals, radio, & clock

Jay, I never got into the electronics on either of the 73's.  I did replace
the distributor on the frist 73 and as I recall Autozone had them in stock
for a little of nothing (37 bucks seems to stick in my mind).

I'd bet on the float.  It's an easy text and fix and I described it a week
or two back talking about the 62.  Same process.  Make sure you tank is
fairly empty when you take the sending unit out.  A new float is 3.50 from a
ford dealer.  I posted that part number a couple weeks back also and it's
also on the web site in the repair section.

Regarding the instruments, there obviously is a lack of power or ground to
the instruments.  Double check the fuses and and grounds.  The shop manual
wiring diagram should help identify which wire or fuse is common.  If it's a
ground problem you could probably test it by making an alligator clip jumper
cable and hooking it to the metal back of the instrument cluster and the neg
post on the battery.

By the way, it's not too hard to get up under the dash.  The AC duct is held
in place by ONE screw to the left of the steering column at the bottom of
the dash.  Remove it and the duct will come off the left hand blow in your
face vent and then you can wiggle it around and drop it out of the main
plenum in the center of the car.  I never did anything to 'your' 73 dash but
had the AC duct out and my head up under the first 73 more times than I care
to count.

Did you solve the fuel economy issue?

KerryP
Patch panels fabricated
Pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx
dte.net/57imperial
Imperials -- 50 Limo, 57 roadster, 61's, 62, 68 Convert, 73, a 66 300 and a
bunch of lesser marques