fuel gauge only reads 3/4 fuel sender problems

fuel gauge only reads 3/4 fuel sender problems

Dear all
Am I right or am I wrong but my car has electroluminescent dash lights (63)
I have been told that you should not ground the sender wire to see if the
gauge works is this correct or not and if so how does one check these
gauges, I put in a "new" sender unit which briefly gave a 3/4 reading before
slowly dying as did the previous gauge.????????????.

                            David Munson