Collectible Automobile

Yesterday while perusing Books-A-Million I spotted the
latest issue of CA and picked it up, anticipating the
story on the '67 Imperial that has been spoken of here
on the IML.  My girlfriend purchased the magazine for
me (love her!) and, armed with a cup of tea, I
proceeded to read the article.

I must say, I was a little turned off by the
cover...not only was the Imperial not the cover
picture, but the story title teaser reads: 1967-68
Imperial: Shrinking Empire. This did not bode well.

For the most part though, the story was well written,
and the fact that they included a picture of a
charcoal '67 4 door hardtop like mine was a plus.
However, one glaring (to me, anyway) discrepancy was
the mention of the wood trim.  At three points they
mention it in the article; the first time they call it
"Simulated woodgrain inserts"...next it becomes
"genuine walnut veneer- no plastic woodgrain
here!"...and finally it reverts back to "simulated
walnut bezels"

At a few other points "wood veneer" is mentioned, but
this is a somewhat vague term.  I wonder if the
article was written by a couple different people and
stitched together by a slightly careless editor?

A couple things I did learn from the story (if true,
which I will assume them to be).  First, the foil
encapsulated insulation was placed under the intake
manifold not as a heat insulator (as has been
mentioned here) but as a sound deadener for the
valvetrain.  And, second, there is supposedly a wire
grounding the front suspension to the frame, required
to enable the horn, because of the front suspension's
isolation from the rest of the car, electrically.
I've never noticed such a wire on my car...perhaps
this is why my horn still fails to work!

Despite the problems with correctly identifying real
walnut trim, and the comparisons with Imperial's high
water mark in 1957 having the overall effect of
somewhat downplaying the '67/8's significance, it was
an interesting atricle, and one worth the price of the magazine.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Piles of pitted chrome
Hubcaps along the floorboard