Collectible Automobile

I'm glad Collectible Automobile did a story on the '67-'68 Imperials. All of
the cars featured in the article are beautiful! After reading the article, I
put the magazine down and thought to myself: "They just don't get it." So
many of the stories written about Imperials over the years seem to be a bit
less than flattering about the car.

The Imperial is always compared to the Cadillac and the Lincoln, but one of
the big differences between these cars, which don't seem to be acknowledged,
is that the Imperial was designed to be a driver's car. Yes it had a smooth,
quiet ride like the other two, and yes it was a luxury car, but it also was
superior to the others in performance and handling. So many of the writers
seem to focus on the fact that it didn't sell well, and it was always trying
to play "catch up" to the other two. An important observation, perhaps, but
it's just a part of the story. They're missing the "big picture".

I think Chrysler had slightly different plans for the Imperial, and I think
it was a bit before its time in this respect. Americans didn't really expect
good handling from cars until the imports came along with their stiff seats
and harsh ride. I get the feeling the people who write the articles about
Imperials don't have much appreciation for the cars, and don't make an
attempt to understand what an Imperial really is. They just lump it in the
Cadillac/Lincoln class and go from there. It's just another story in another
issue.

I may be completely off base here, but that's the general feeling I get.

Andy