Imperials outside U.S. - why so popular elsewhere?

Imperials outside U.S. - why so popular elsewhere?

Two of the reasons (to my understanding) that older
American cars are popular in Europe and elsewhere:

1.  The laws there have historically resticted "current"
cars from being registered as they age, especially in
germany, with very strict tests that will fail a car with
mechanical defects that would go unnoticed for years in the
US such as dents, rust, cracked glass, or anything else
amiss.  My German buddies really freaked out about the cars
that they saw here with ropes and chains holding fenders,
hoods, and exhaust pipes (or not) onto the car, not to
mention the insurace settlement specials that cash out and
never get fixed but stay on the road for 10 years after a
crash with 20% of the body mangled.

Some countries also have registration rates that rise
exponentially with age (japan).  Porsche 356's are more
common here in the US than in Germany, says some of my car
buddies there, and they get re-imported back because the
stock there was depleted.  This system protects the
national automakers by making the cars that they sell
unregisterable quickly, causing people to dispose of their
cars earlier than americans might.  My understanding was
that in Germany (where I lived for awhile), a 10 year-old
car is a rarity, and 15 years or older is almost unheard
of.  If you live in the US, do a survey of the cars that
live near you, and you'll see an obvious age difference in
the population of cars.

This higher turnover rate is one reason that the photos of
the middle east show so many German (and other) euro cars.
They can't pass TUV (like smog test, but for the entire
car) or get certified, and thus get dumped, & exported to
countries that aren't so strict that don't have auto
industries to protect.  This is where all of the first
world's older, noiser airliners are going, too, so it's not
just cars that take this path.

2.  World war II left Europe without the industrial base
that we had here, and a far fewer expensive, well made cars
and disposable income were present.  Think about classic
american cars vs classic euro cars.  There are a number of
Euro cars from the period, but most are not "working man's
cars" (12 cylinder Ferrarris and gull-winged Mercedes are
not the same project or availability as an Imperial or
Cadillac).  Couple that with item number 1, add in that
there are people that are nutty about cars no matter where
you go, and there you have a demand for Imperials and other
american cars, especially under the circumstances where we
don't value what we have.  My 1973 was very cheap and in
great shape.  Why wouldn't someone elsewhere pay $1500 to
ship it over if it's only a few thousand to buy?  I would.

If you surveyed the american members of the Imeprial
Mailing List,  how many would own Imperials or be in the
classic car hobby if their expenses were tripled, and all
Imperial parts were mainly overseas (and the cars used
those funny "/-inch"  wrench sizes)?  I think that I would,
but not so certain everyone would stick with such a niche
car as opposed to somthing more regionally "available".  It
takes an extra amount of energy and fever to go for an Imp
where gas is $5 a gallon, taxes are high, certification is
difficult, and there are no parts in the parts store down
the street.

Imperial Owners in other countries, my hat's off to you.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious