Fender Mounted Turn Signal

As usual, Dick is brilliant and well-spoken on the matter.

I'd love to add a few finer points to his post:

What Dick refers to as "turn illumination bulbs" are perhaps better known as
cornering lights, and on the '67s they light up steady (not flashing) whenever
the turn signal and either the parking lights or headlamps are switched on.
(In fact, if you have the key off but the parking lights on, you can make the
cornering light come on even though the turn signals will not.)

To clarify David's question, the fender-mounted indicators have their own
bulbs on all trim levels. They do use something of a "fiber-optic" effect as
he describes, being big solid hunks of orange plastic, but the light does
indeed come from a dedicated bulb inside each fender. The white cornering
light is contained within its own housing and should not be able to bleed
light upward through the fender.

And as for the load on the relay, the '67s not only use 3 rear lamps but they
also use both filaments (dim and bright) of the bulbs in the front bumper. I
don't know why, but the '67 front turn signals use dual-filament bulbs whose
wiring is jumpered together right behind each lamp. Since the parking lamp is
exclusively in the big beautiful white lamp in the fender, I can only imagine
why the bumper-mounted lamps got dual-filament bulbs. But it's something to
keep in mind if one of your front turn signals seems dimmer than the other...
that would indicate that the bright filament is burned-out and the bulb needs
replacing.

For the record, my car seems to have its original flasher, and it does not
appear to be a heavy-duty type.

OK, enough on this subject for me. Hope it helped someone diagnose their car!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon