Interesting Facts

I do not have any Factory Service Manuals for either
my Dynasty or the Imperial of 1992- so I have been
learning things about the car by playing around with
it and taking stuff apart out of interest (and rarely
need...).

I have noticed since day 1 that the Dynasty and
Imperial were similar. But I never realized just how
similar they are (and oddly they are also roughly
similar to the k-cars!).

Here are some of the interesting similarities I have
found for 90's Imperials/Dynasty's with either the 3.3
or 3.8 V6 engines.

1) Engine. The Dynasty had a 3.3L V6 engine from 1990
or 1991 through its last year of production in 1993.
The Imperial gained the "big" V6 (3.8L) in either 1991
or 1992 (after the 3.3 had been out in use for a
while). The 3.8 is a larger 3.3- many parts will
interchange between the two engines, and the only true
differnces between the engines are the compression
ratio, displacement, pistons, etc. But the design and
basics are equal. Interestingly, when the Dodge
Diplomat series ended in 1989, the folks at Mopar
thought about starting an other line of cop-cars to
replace the M-bodies. Their idea was to make a cop-car
Dodge Dynasty with the Imperial 3.8 in it. For what
ever reason, the idea never really went far.

2) Brakes. Identical. Can be interchanged. Same brake
system, down to every single detal.

3) Interior. Very interchangable. Dash, interior
pannels, front seats, center mini console are all the
same. The rear seats are slightly larger however, and
it would take some work to fit Imperial seats in a
Dynasty, though Dynasty seats could possibly fit in an
Imperial (which if done right, would give more leg
room...).

4) Size and shape of body. The A/C Bodies (Dynasty,
Imperial, New Yorker) were all very similar to each
other- the Dynasty was the first model of these cars,
seeing production in 1988- and thus all of the later
models (Imperial, New Yorker) were based on the
Dynasty (the Dynasty body never changed from
1988-1993). The only differnces are the Imperial body
which is slightly longer and has a slightly more
slanting front, and the fact that the Imperial/New
Yorkers had folding headlights as well as larger trunk
lids (the trunk lid went down more, while the Dynasty
had that red pannel below the trunk lid).

5) Wiring. Electronically speaking, the cars are the
same- with one differnce I have been able to find thus
far: The folding head lights. This requires additional
relays (2), and wiring going from the relays to the
folding headlight motor (which was electric). Oddly,
the Dynasty had all of this wiring up to the sockets
for the relays. The relays and rest of curcuit was not
installed.

6) Intake. Identical. Same TB even.

7) Tranny. Same troublesome A604 (the worset tranny
ever made for a Mopar- plaqued by problems caused by a
rush-production). This tranny will only work if the
fluid is replaced with the filter and gasket every
75,000 miles, 80,000 at the most. Failure to do so
blows this tranny. This tranny will also only operate
with  the Mopar tranny fluid. I have been in touch
with a few ex-mopar techies, and we think it possible
to get a auto-3 speed from a 4 cylinder onto a 3.3/3.8

Also interesting- the 3.3/3.8 was also used in the
design of the 3.3/3.5 used in the LH cars. The main
differnce (and there are many) is that the LH cars
have the engine in the standard position (with plugs
on the sides), while the Imperial/Dynasty engine is
turned 90 degrees (thus having the plugs on the front
and rear of engine compartment).

Now farther more, these cars will also take the same
modifications as the 3.0 V6 made by mitsu (due to some
similar designs- i.e. intake, etc.)- but will NOT take
nitro boosters, and will not handle boost without:
1) Low compression pistons
2) crank and rods custom made to fit from a 3.5L LH
engine.

The computer system could compensate for boost except
at WOT when the 02 is ignored (thus causing the PCM to
just use the max MAP signals and not have enough fuel).