Imperials as an Investment

I don't think the restoration of older cars should be done for investment,
but rather for love of the automobile. In most cases the amount of money
spent restoring the car, unless you do everything from chroming, painting,
upholstery, etc., will be pretty close as to what you can expect to get for
the car. In other words what you put into the car is most likely what you
will get out, but you can't stop in the middle of the thing. Like my '59. I
bought it fairly cheaply, and very cheaply compared to a '59 Cadillac, and
I've got the better car, I know because my Dad used to own a Caddy back then,
and it was a piece of junk! I had to put x amount of dollars into my Imperial
to get it running again, almost what I paid for the car, but if I were to
sell it today, I couldn't get much more than I paid for it, since it is not
pristine. Then there is the market problem. These cars appeal to a very
limited market, and it usually takes the right person at the right time in
order to sell your car. I know a guy who has been sitting on a '59 Imperial
in better shape than mine for over a year now, and he only wants $3,500.00
for it! He doesn't really know what he has. So all in all, I think car
collecting should not be considered as an investment, the only one it might
pay off for is a grandchild generations removed, if the car stays in the
family that long!
Bill '59 Crown