68, bad idle

At 08:58 AM 7/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I see I had a typo in my last response here - if course I meant heat riser,
>not head riser!

Yes, I got it.  I did not even notice your typo!

>Yes, you can try to tighten the intake manifold bolts, but
>if they are already at 35 ft lb., I don't think that will help much.

OK, will try.

>  If you are referring to the lower portion of this gasket, you should
> still be able to flood the area
>with WD-40 and hear a difference in idle if there is a vacuum leak, as this
>stuff will find it's way down under the manifold runners.

Yes, this is what I meant.  I tried this with "liquid wrench" type of stuff
last night.  No difference.  I did spray quite a bit in there.  I was also
thinking that vacuum leak type of problems also tend to disturb engine
operation at light loads as well as idle.  This car runs very nice and
smooth at super low load.  Even at 35 mph with the lockup converter
engaged, its very smooth.  Its only the idle that suffers.  So, I think the
problem must be related to the idle circuit of the carb.  The unstable idle
is also making my other electrical problem worse!

>But the best way to determine if you have a vacuum leak is to put a vacuum
>gauge on it!  You
>should be showing around 20-21 In. Hg. at sea level, at idle.  If you
>aren't, there's a problem somewhere!

I will try to borrow a vacuum gauge.  However, this car also has a slightly
bigger cam, so I am not sure if the 20-21 inches still applies.
Thanks DB, D^2