68, bad idle+multiplex stereo

At 09:58 PM 7/6/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>  Another item that would affect mostly one side of the engine would be a
> serious leak
>into the intake manifold from the large vacuum fitting that supplies the
>brake booster etc.    This would certainly give a very low reading on your
>vacuum gauge, however.

I recently replaced the brake booster hose.  I also replaced the booster
itself a few months ago, a month or so after I got the car.  So, I doubt
there is a leak there.  I guess I need to do the WD-40 trick and see if I
find a leak.  But if its the manifold gasket at the lower end, I won't
detect it with this method.  Can I just try to tighten the manifold bolts?

As for the vacuum reading, I have not tried that yet.  My gut feeling
though is the car should have a bit more vacuum than what it has now.  The
suction feels about the same as my 68 Sedan, but the sedan has a bigger cam
which should reduce its vacuum.  A few years back, I had tested the sedan's
440 at 18 inches.

>Since your car already has the 5 speaker setup, you can easily splice into
>the individual speaker leads and drive them from the 4 speaker lines out of
>your modern device.

Dick, the old system works real nice, and I really want to retain it.  I do
not want to butcher it up just so that I have a modern device in, even if
it plays a bit better.  In fact, one of the reasons for keeping this in,
even if not quite as good as a modern system is that it gives people
(including myself!) an idea how "life in the fast lane" was back in
68.  That stereo system was as good as it got back then.

I was hoping I can somehow input a signal from a low wattage device like a
walkman into the stock radio and have the original amplifiers do the
job.  Also, this could be something easily reversible, so if I wanted to
turn back to radio operation, it would have been as easy as pulling a
plug.  My hopes were based on the fact that there was an add-on tape deck
optional back then, which made me think that the original radio may have
been designed to be compatible with external devices.  I have not chosen a
device yet, but if I do, it will be something inexpensive that does not
attract thieves (finding a replacement glass would be quite expensive and
put the car out of commission for a while, plus if I see the thief running
away after busted my window, I will probably get in the car and run him
over !).

>  If you are planning to run your sound system really loud,
>you will probably find the original speakers can't take it, though.  Back in
>the 60's, anything over 100 dB was considered torture (and I agree!).

Also, if you run the original stereo with engine off and doors open, after
about 10 minutes the battery will be drained!  That thing is consuming a
LOT of power by modern standards.

Mike's suggetsion:
>Eeasiest thing to do is walk, drive, or bicycle down
>to your nearest Best Buy and plunk down $19.95 for
>this little AA operated device that plugs into any
>walkman or discman, and transmits out any FM frequency
>you choose. no wires, easy setup.

So, Mike you are saying that this device is a little transmitter that would
transmit at a frequency that my radio can be tuned at.  Does it have its
own antenna?  If that's what you say, this might work just great!  There
are 5 or 6 "channels" in this stock radio.  One can be "programmed" to
match this device.  Do you maintain Stereo sound of the walkman?  Brilliant!
D^2