Valve tappet noise

At 03:35 PM 6/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>If one has a noisy tappet and one doesn't fix it right away, does one
>damage the engine or valve train?  I know it needs to be fixed but if it
>isn't hurting anything I would like to put it off for a while.

Ken, I have never had a car with this problem.  However, the engineering
(and possibly common sense) perspective would be the following.  There is
something going on in there that was not supposed to happen.  The
valvetrain was not designed to operate like that.  There is an impact in
there (cam-lifter, lifter pushrod?) that should not be happening.  Its hard
to tell exactly how fast you are wearing valvetrain parts, but why risk
more expensive repairs?  If you can't fix it now, park the car till you can.

However, others with more practical experience with this particular problem
might advise you better...

D^2