Valve tappet noise

Hi All -

We have discussed the identification of valve tappet noises as compared to
exhaust leak noises.  I have identified mine as valve tappet.  Now I have
question for your 413/440 experts out there.

If one has a noisy tappet and one doesn't fix it right away, does one
damage the engine or valve train?  I know it needs to be fixed but if it
isn't hurting anything I would like to put it off for a while.

I have tried the magic stuff in the can (which I have had success with on
other cars) but to no avail.  I recall fixing a really stuck lifter once in
one of my 57 Imperials by adding a quart of transmission fluid to the
crankcase.  Fixed it in about ten minutes and I never had a problem again.
 I haven't tried that yet on this one but am tempted.

I await your guidance, experience and insight.

Ken Miller
Portland, Oregon (73F and sunny - perfect top-down weather!)
61 and 67 Converts