hardtops -- again

"TL" & "4 Toes"
Some how I copied your addresses down wrong, so must send this way.

The original concept of the "hardtop" dates back over 75 years.  However, as
we are familiar with the term, it was applied to the cars of the late 1940s
- a result of the owner of a convertible who did not want to lower the top.
The first real hardtops (in the 2 door version) appeared in 1949 model year,
by GM.  Chrysler had a prototype two door hardtop in 1949 also; it was on
the "Second Series" body of the 1949 models, but was not introduced until
the 1950 model year.  I realize that I am in deep dudu here, but still feel
that the first four door hardtops were not introduced until 1956 - by any
company. [Check me on this - OK?]

The visual difference between a 2 door and 4 door sedan versus the 2 and 4
door hardtops is quite glaring, really.  As you view the vehicle from the
side, there is open feeling (visual and actual) in that there is no
"obstruction" between the windshield and the backglass on a hardtop.
Structurally, on sedans, there are three primary differences: first, there
is a metal frame surrounding the glass which is a structural part of the
door; second, there is a hard, steel "post" going from the floor pan to the
roof rail; and third, the rear door hinges/mounts to this "post,"(excluding
the 'suicide' rear door of the 1961-1969 Lincoln Continental).
On a "true" hardtop, structurally, there is no "complete B post" from the
floor pan to the roof rail, nor is there any metal frame around the
window(s). [Today, or in past 25 years, "Detroit' & the advertising media
have used the term hardtop when they were actually referring to the two door
sedan coupe, on either of 2 models: the front door is that of the old
hardtop style, but there is a full/solid "B post" (really, a hardtop sedan
coupe---say a 1975/6 NYB coupe; or the actual front door of a sedan (metal
window frame) on an actual sedan with the full "B post"---say a 1978 GM Olds
Delta 88 Royale Coupe...or any 77-85 or so GM vehicle.]  On a 2 door
hardtop, the body/side behind the door and infront of the rear wheel well
forms the "B post."  On the 4 door hardtop, the "B Post" only rises to the
point just below the level of the windows; it still must be there to mount
the rear door to the car.
As much as I 'think' about it, and try to find info to the contrary, I feel
that the first 4 door hardtops were available as 1956 models.  I do know
that in 1949, the ill-fated Kaiser 'Virginian' was available as a 'four door
hardtop,' and the Frazer 'Manhattan' was available as a four door
convertible sedan, both for about 15-18 months.

Any one out there who has additional information, or that is able to correct
(or modify) the information: please chime in.  Thanks for listening to one
who now owns a two door hardtop (1964 Imperial Crown Coupe) and a 2 door
coupe (or sedan? - 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale Coupe) [and formerly a 78 Ford
LTD four door pillared hardtop sedan as well as a 1971 Chrysler Newport
Custom four door hardtop].   Later,  ne