Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:44 AM
Subject: IML: Window Motor Maladies

There was a good thread on here a few weeks ago about windows.  There is also some great information on the IML site in the repair section.

I'm not sure if the '65 motors are the same as my '63's motors, but I pulled the front passenger side motor out last week to attempt a repair.  Prestolite cleverly dip-coated the end housing of the motor to ensure that no water would escape, once it inevitably leaked past the shaft.  The motor was a solid block of rust.

After removing the rubber coatings I was able to disassemble the motor.  The bushings were seized to the armature, and came out of the end-plates.  After alot of cleaning, aligning, repair of the brush holder, re-soldering etc., the motor checked out okay electrically.  I just could not get everything aligned to the point that it spins freely.  Things inside must have moved around as a result of the rust, or perhaps freezing.  I guess I don't have the patience or finesse to align this thing.  At any rate, I've given up on this one.

Don't be put-off by my effort, though.  You may just have dirty brushes or it may just be "stuck".  Check out the information in the repair section of the IML, then let us know how you made out.

And if you get real good at it, send me your address.  I'll send you mine to fix!

Steve Charette