rebuilding a 392

Remco;
 If it were me, and I wanted some new pistons, I would go with a set from
PAW for your 392. If you get a set from E-Bay there are no guarantees of
quality, with P.A.W there is a guarantee. I would also make a list of what
you need and get a quote from Egge machine as well, sometimes one will have
a better price on some parts as opposed to others.
 The main difference between cast and forged pistons is that the forged ones
are somewhat tougher and less prone to detonation, or breaking up, at high
engine speeds. Forged pistons are designed primarily for racing where your
engine's r.p.m would regularly exceed 5000 r.p.m  for prolonged periods of
time, they also cost at least twice as much as cast ones.
 Cast pistons are what your Imperial's engine has in it right now because it
was never expected to run over 4000 r.p.m let alone 5000. Just remember that
these cast pistons have served your car very well for the past 40+ years so
another set will likely serve it just as long. You could go with a forged
set but I think that you would be throwing your money away since they aren't
necessary.
 Before you go any further I would find out why the oil is turning grey. If
the engine is going bad it should be consuming more oil not turning grey, if
anything it would turn black quicker. The last time that I saw grey oil it
happened to have water mixed in with it,  so you better check for a bad
gasket.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.