Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:15 PM
Subject: IML: shade tree radiator repairman

I have repaired them with exactly the same equipment that I used to do the
copper pipe sweat fittings when I built our home.  My only caution would be
that you should use the non-acid flux, and don't use a MAPP gas torch - they
are too hot for this thin copper.   I think taking the whole tank off would
result in a large amount of soldering, probably too much for someone who
hasn't done it before.  I'd be afraid to tackle this much myself, unless I
was in that Sahara desert again.

But if you are brave - have at it!   The problem won't come in getting the
top tank off, it will occur when you try to line everything up and get it to
sweat all the way around at the same time without getting a "cold" joint
anywhere.  Cleanliness is the watchword here, too.  All the metal should be
bright and shiny before you start heating it.

I just repaired a quite large hole in the bottom tank of my dozer's radiator
(a 3/8 bolt got driven right through it!) and so far it's holding (fingers
crossed).  The tank was also dented in at the same location, and it started
to crack when I tried to pull it back out.   I just soldered a penny over
the hole.

As for the paint, the best paint would be something with zero thickness
(insulation R-value), and a high emissivity/absorptivity ratio.  Actually,
the best paint would be titanium dioxide (we used it on high gain radar
dishes to keep from thermal warping in the sun), but it cost almost $1000 a
gallon!  (Your tax dollars at work!)

I suppose someone could formulate a better paint than plain Krylon flat
black, but they'd have to be quite knowledgeable about the physics of
thermal emission - I question whether anyone with that background is
employed compounding paint, but perhaps there is such a vendor.

Dick Benjamin