Driving right after startup, was: Smoking during warm up

Driving right after startup, was: Smoking during warm up

I agree with this.  The reasons why a cold engine should not be pushed hard
are multiple.  The pistons have not quite grown to their proper clearance
so the load on the rings is high, the cylinder bores are not quite expanded
to their normal shape (after the typical thermal distortions), the oil is
below operating temperature so it drags the engine, the heads are too cool
sucking up much of the combustion heat, etc etc.   However, driving the car
lightly after startup is hardly any stress on the engine.  These engines
are quite under-stressed anyway.   Warm up sucks a lot of gasoline.  You
may just as well use all this fuel to also propel your car.

D^2