CA - old registration is a non-issue

Ran across this message I saved intending to respond
to but it got lost in the shuffle.

When you sell (transfer) a car in California, there is
more than just a transfer fee--there must be a smog
certificate (presuming the car is eligible to be
smogged) and there is a sales tax on the price of the
car.  The DMV looks very closely at transfers that are
stated as "gifts" and probably would not allow a
transfer without the tickets being paid.

And, even if it is stated as a "gift", they apply what
is called a "use tax" regardless of the price the
sellers/buyers claim they paid.  This was to get
around the purchase of a car when the buyer asks the
seller to write a bill of sale for a very low price to
avoid sales tax.  That's why it is called a "use tax".
 It eliminates the argument about the fee.  They might
be dumb but they aren't stupid.

If you transfer title to a family member in an attempt
to show the "gift" status, the tickets must be paid.

Bob