CA - old registration is a non-issue

Changing title in California costs $10 each way.
All penalties accrued by one owner do not transfer to
the next, including any unpaid registration for years
other than the one that you're in.

This is fact; it's how one can launder parking tickets
off of a car's registration, as unpaid tickets go to
the state for collection as a condition of
re-registration.

Re-title back to oneself after 3 months and the
tickets go away forever.  It works.

My 73 registration for this year was $44 - this is the
maximum that they could charge for my car regardless
of year last registered, assuming that title paperwork
is clear and still in the system.  Registering
something that is not in the computer (20 ys in a
barn, etc.) and not registered in the last 7 years
requires VIN inspection and lamp certification.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious