California's inane old car laws

It's not on NOT illegal, it's very common.  There are
many vendors who advertise to be able to get a title
for any old car.  The way it works is this:

With a bill of sale one can obtain a license plate for
older cars (pre 74 cars in Alabama).  No title is
required nor is an inspection of the car.  Typically
the cost to get the tag is 25 bucks or so.  With a
valid Alabama (or wherever) tag receipt, you can
register the car in the destination state and get the
title or whatever is required, even California.

I've done this.  It's not difficult.

kerryp