1950's Imperial A-L Disc Brakes (was Imperial Trivia)

Jim wrote:
>  2. Is the story about 4 wheel disc brakes on a 1950 model myth or truth.

Hi Jim,

I know a number of members have commented that this was a real feature of
1950 Imperials, but I thought I would give you a few interesting facts about
these brakes.  They were featured on Crown Imperials (the long wheel base
limos) and Chrysler Town & Country models from 1950 through 1954.  They are
referred to as "Ausco-Lambert" brakes after the inventor (Lambert) and the
company that produced them (Ausco).  They were available on other Chryslers
of this period, but a pricey option at $400.

Thanks to Kenyon Wills, the club's website has a copy of a 1951 magazine ad
touting the new brakes which Chrysler had developed for the Army.  It also
makes mention of the "new disc brakes," gives a brief explanation of how the
A-L brakes work, and a really cool cutaway picture of the "forced-air
cooling system" used in the A-L brake system:

http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1951/Ads/brakes.JPG

Best Regards,
Chris Trettin
1956 Imperial sedan