56 U-joints - a clarification

I don't know for sure what type of U-joint the 56's may have, as I've never
owned any Imperial prior to 1967.  But I do recall, during the early 70's,
that when I needed new U-joints for any of my senior '51-56 Packards, the
trick was to look for Imperial U-joints, which were then still available.  I
just don't recall for sure which years did interchange, and I know they have
disappeared by now.

There are two sizes of these weird joints, and the smaller of the two sizes
was used on the lesser Packards (Clippers) and the smaller Chrysler
products.

The location in which they are used is at the connection from the automatic
transmission to the driveshaft, in other words, the front U-joint.  To
identify this unit, a quick glance is all it takes.  If it appears to be an
elongated, grapefruit sized housing, bolted to the rear of the transmission
with 4 bolts arranged in a roughly 4 inch diameter pattern, with a rubber
flexible boot (like a modern front drive car's CV boot) covering the area
from the rear of the housing to the front of the driveshaft, you've got the
bad boy there.   In other words, if it looks like nothing you've ever seen
before, that's it!   If it looks like a normal X type joint, or a CV joint,
you should be able to find a replacement, as Rodger pointed out.

If your problem is the center support bearing (if any), or  the rear
u-joint, you've dodged that bullet for now.

Dick Benjamin