56 U-joints

In a message dated 4/20/2002 8:26:19 PM Mountain Daylight Time, DickB@xxxxxxxxx writes:

IML: U- joints and other low joints (Was:WelcomI think the 56 may have the "Detroit" U-joints.  If so, these are identical
to the senior Packard Ultramatic U-joints, which have been unavailable for
years.  If this is the problem with Mr. Emory's car, he is probably going to
have to have the car converted to a modern driveline.  There are a couple of
national chains that do this, and they do it very well, but you have to
drive the car in or have it towed.  Driveline Services is one I have used
for a couple of my Packards; they do a superb job, and once converted, you
don't have this problem any more.

e John Emory '56)

Dick:
That's just not what I wanted to hear.  But I guess the good news is that it's do-able to convert the driveline at all.  I'll look into the prospects.  I suspect, though, that the center support is the problem with my vibration problem, and if Lowell Howe has reman units for exchange, I'll try that replacement first.  If that doesn't do the trick, then total replacement is the last resort.  Thanks for you expert input.

John Emory
'56 S'hampton