emblem enigma

On the 57/58 and maybe 59 Imperials, the are two little emblem pieces that
go at the base of the windshield at each corner, right beside the A pillar.
They are three and a half inches wide and about half an inch tall, with
rounded corners at the bottom.  For the longest time I did not know what the
little brass brackets were for.  I knew there were unsightly, with a black
powdery backing, but they seemed to serve n0 function.

Then someone on this list who was parting out a '57 put one up for sale on
e-bay and I learned what the brackets were for.  They hold the emblems.
They have a nice golden eagle on them in the style of the one on the hood,
complete with white rectangle in the center.  I thoroughly searched Mrs.
Blueberry and found one of her fallen emblems under the carpet.  Only one
and in very poor shape.  When I tried to clean it what remained of the gold
leaf style colouring on the eagle's wings came off.  The remainder of the
plastic is clear, and the black powdery substance was the glue which once
held it in place and made the contrast with the gold eagle.

I cannot think how to restore this piece or if it is worthwhile if I only
have one.  I don't think gold paint will be acceptable.  I don't think it
will have the high shine of the gold leaf.  The little white box and a few
scraps of the gold leaf is all that remains.  If I had two, I thought the
effort of finding someone to fix it up right might be worth it.

I went out to Dr. Mopar's to scope both of his 58's.  One is so far gone,
there is really nothing left of worth but the glass and the body panels.
The other was brought in after its engine was removed for a Barracuda in
Florida and most of its good stuff is gone.  I have its drive shaft.  It
used to be an Auto Pilot car, too.  I was able to see how much it had been
abused.  Both of its external mirrors were incorrect, holes had been cut in
the doors for speakers - not well, either - and an additional rear view
mirror had been roughly screwed into the upper window molding.  More to the
point, it lacked either of its small emblems.  I knew I was on the wrong
side of lunacy when I realized I was scraping through the dirty accumulation
of detritus littering the floor pan looking for an obscure emblem I had not
even been aware that I lacked until very recently.  Sigh

Hugh