emblem enigma

Hi Hugh (and list)
I think you're right when you say "enigma" ! These emblems have
the same medallion than the interior emblem (which is snapped at
each corner of the plastic lower windshield molding and which
hidden a screw) but the support is different:
- the interior medallion is a two pieces affair: the "support" is
a very light aluminium or brass or ? part with built-in studs
(often broken). The plastic "gold eagle" medallion is glued on
this support.
- the exterior medallion has the same dimensions than the
two-pieces int. medallion but it's a plastic only medallion with
built-in plastic studs (always broken !!). So the plastic is
thicker. On my car i've glued them on the stainless steel
molding.
I remember that distance between the two studs isn't the same on
ext. and int. medallion !!

I know that Emblemagic sells new medallion (don't know if it's
the int. or ext.) at high price ($ 125.00 each  if i remember
well); http://www.emblemagic.com/

Another enigma is that majority of 57/58 Imperial haven't the
exterior medallion. It seems that convertible only have them (as
seen on the '57 Prestige Catalog). My convertible had them, there
was two holes for the studs in the stainless steel side
windshield molding but my '57 wrecked Crown 4dr ht hadn't them.

I've pics of "used" medallions and supports, i can send them
privatly. I just have to take my numeric camera..

And as you i've erased some colours when i tried to clean them !!

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com