Kerry's 57 saga

Well Mark, that may be the saga that never ends.  The saga is completely up to date although there have been some developments that I have not yet written down on the web site.  A few months ago I obtained a 69 Chrysler full size folding mechanisism from another reader of the site who GAVE it to me.  Another IML member, Jim Stacey, drove it down to Alabama from Toronto in exchange for some plunder from my 72 parts car.  It's still in a pile on the floor but actually that is one of the things I might get to dink around with this week.  It looks promising.  I have to make it wider but that's no problem.

I have learned a fair amount about convertible tops in the past few years and now understand why adaptation of the late model LeBaron tops failed.  I can't just lean the mechanism out to match up with the side slope on the window glass. The primary problem is because the side glass leans in.  For the top to fold and the upper surface of the top to remain parallel, the hinge pins MUST be parallel.  If they are not the top will want to get wider or narrower at the top and bind.  I THINK what I am going to do is remove all the hinge rivets and replace them with long rods of 3/8 steel that will go all the way across the car and serve as an "axle" for both sides of the top.  This way I should be able to move the assembly around and still have the top fold correctly.  I think!

I'll try and keep the saga current and always post a note to the IML when I add new content.

Regards

Kerryp

  Mark Elliott <deadfishe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have been searching around on the website to try to find the conclusion
to Kerry's 57 saga, and so far I haven't come across one. Is there an
ending to it? I am really interested in finding out especially about what
happened with the top. I bought my 64 Crown 4dht several years ago with
the intention of making it a 4 door convertible. I am very interested in
finding out what types of hurdles I will have when I get to that point.

Thanks,

Mark Elliott
64 Crown 4dht (hopefully a 4 door convertible someday)