Car speakers

>     Any down side to using 4 Ohm speakers in my 66
> Crown Coupe. It seems

4 Ohm speakers may draw too much current from your
stock stereo.  This could cause the unit to run hot
and possibly even burn out.  I did that to an old
Philco stereo I used to have as a kid, before I ever
knew what an Ohm was, by running 3 speakers in
parallel off each channel.  ;) (parallel wiring
decreases Ohms, or Impedance)

Also, you want to make sure the front and rear, and
ESPECIALLY the right and left speakers are matched for
impedance, and preferably in sensitivity.  Otherwise
your sound will be distorted and unbalanced.

Radio shack makes some good, low priced speakers that
tend to be around 8 Ohms.  Your stock stereo should
drive those just fine...otherwise, use the 4 ohm but
put a 4 Ohm resistor in series with the speaker (make
sure the resistor is rated at 10W or greater..one of
the big, white, rectangular ones).  It will quiet the
sound, but save your stereo.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

My girlfriend left me