Imperial's "purity"

Excellent points made by all in this discussion.

I tend to come out on the side of originality, just because that's my
preference, but it's a powerful argument to say whoever owns the car has the
right to do with it what he or she wants and no one else has any say so.
What's the point if you can't have any fun and drive it?  And who am I to tell
you what to do with your car?

Also, we must admit, as Hugh points out, that we already make distinctions
between cars and value some over others for a variety of reasons (parts,
rarity, originality).  I think you have to ask yourself "Just how valuable was
this car when new, and how valuable is it likely to become?" when considering
any question of keeping it original.  (Would anybody be upset if the
originality of a Gremlin or Vega was compromised?)*

On the other hand . . . (there's always another hand) . . .

I also think we ought to ask ourselves "Who really owns these cars?"  Yes, we
do, right now.  But that's just for right now.  Eventually, all our old cars
will be sold or passed along to someone else when we ourselves pass along or
circumstances force us to get rid of them.

In my opinion, we are all just "renters," not true owners.  We rent these old
Imperials for a period of years, and then pass them along to someone else who,
hopefully, will treat them with respect and pass them along to someone else so
that, many years from now, someone who has never seen or even heard of a 1960
Imperial will be able to see one and appreciate the cars themselves and the
times they represent.

Every one of my cars is a kind of tribute to their previous owners.  I seek out
cars like this, cars that show the caring of one or two conscientitious
owners.  The amount of work that the last owner of my '68 put into his car just
trying to keep it up and keep it looking good is remarkable.

For that reason, without getting TOO hokey here, I think we owe it to our
Imperials and future generations to try to keep these cars as intact and as
original as possible.

Mark

*Sorry, Gremlin & Vega fans!