Ticking noise

----Original Message Follows----
From: KerryPinkerton <pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Ticking noise
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:47:37 -0800 (PST)

>>Is there a definitive way to tell the difference
>>between a clicking lifter and an exhaust leak from a
>>cracked exhaust manifold?

...Yes,an exhaust leak will increase/be louder when the engine is put under
load.
  A "ticking" lifters' noise will remain constant under load.

   Have someone sit in the car with their foot on the brake...and have them
step on the gas-pedal a little while you listen underhood.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <--no exhaust leaks.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV <-- the right side exh manifold sounds like
chitty-chitty bang-bang.

Been down the road of replacing lifters only to find
it was a cracked manifold once before.

Kerryp