The More things change . . .

D^2
     I agree with most of what you say with
one exception.
     "But lets face it, you can't drive a 38 on a regular basis, can
you?"

     I've never owned a "new car" & before
retirement, commuted 60 miles plus, round trip for years in old cars.
Some
of those cars were, a 37 Airflow, 41 Ply,
48 Commander, 51 NY convertible, 56 190SL,  55 Windsor, and 53 & 56
Imperials.

     I've driven my 39 C24 to many of the State meets in Calif. & to the
WPC 98 meet in Portland.  When not idled for maintenance, it is a daily
driver on the Freeway & local streets.

    Granted, older cars don't have many of the amenities of newer cars
such as sound systems, GPS, TV's, cup holders, A/C, automatic
transmissions, monthly payments, a uni-ugly design & yes!
"refrigerators".

     New or old, the key in "Automobile" is
"mobile" and if an old car is properly maintained it can be a daily
driver and not a Trophy covered in the garage.

That's All Folks
Jim--
1939 C24 (10mpg & no car payments)